Job Applicant Rejections Even Cupid Wouldn’t Argue Against

It’s the Friday before Valentine’s Day, and while many blogs are devoting themselves to the annual office romance article for #FridayFun postings, we decided to go a different route. Although that chubby little cherub, Cupid, is working overtime to hook people up, we’re going to look at some of the best workplace rejections we found on the Web. No, not office romances gone bad, but job applicant interviews soooo not right that even Cupid can’t make a case for continuing these relationships.

It’s not just a case where these job applicants were unqualified for the job, but you wonder how they managed to make it to the interview altogether.  Here are some of our favorites horror stories from HR pros, managers, supervisors and even a few job applicants themselves that we found:

• While conducting an interview the candidate asked me, “Do you get many death threats?” It was an inbound call company. Selling stationery. (ShortList)
  • I asked the candidate if he considered himself a punctual person. He responded with,”Well, I’m not a grammar Nazi or anything.” (Reddit)
  • We ask prospective job applicants at our business to fill out a questionnaire. For the line “Choose one word to summarize your strongest professional attribute,” one woman wrote, “I’m very good at following instructions.” (Reader’s Digest)
  • Interviewer: “Do you have any other questions?” Applicant:“Yes. What’s your policy on employee theft?” (Reddit)
  • One applicant repeatedly blew her nose and lined up the used tissues on the table in front of her. (Reader’s Digest)
  • I conducted one [interview] where the candidate asked for two weeks off in December (it was May) so he could free his wife who had been kidnapped. (ShortList)
  • An individual applied for a customer-service job, and when asked what he might not like about the job, he said, “Dealing with people.” (Reader’s Digest)
  • I interviewed one woman for an admin job who had a picture of herself on her CV. In a leopard-print bra top drinking a bottle of Bud. (ShortList)
  • I once confidently told an interviewer that I’d read a book he’d mentioned. He pointed out it hadn’t been published yet. Or even written. (ShortList)
  • I had somebody list their prison time as a job. And, an exotic dancer who called herself a “customer service representative.” (Reader’s Digest)
  • When asked what she wanted to be when she was a child, the candidate responded: “I wanted to be a fairy. No, Queen of the Fairies.” (ShortList)
  • Candidate specified that his availability was limited because Friday, Saturday and Sunday was “drinking time.” (Reader’s Digest)
  • I interviewed a guy for a programming job. He failed all the test questions, then gave me a list of ones that “I should have asked.” (ShortList)
  • Interviewer: “We’ll need to speak to your previous line manager to see what kind of impression you made. Who was it?” Applicant: “Um … you.” (Reader’s Digest)
  • The interviewer wrote my name at top of a notebook page. Took no notes. Halfway through, crossed my name out. (ShortList)
  • An interview with Microsoft. I was asked if I’d change anything about them. Said, “I’d get rid of Internet Explorer.” Didn’t get the job. (Reddit)
  • Even though I was talking loudly, the applicant kept repeating, “Could you speak up?” This was after wheeling himself across the room and hiding his face. Surreal. (ShortList)
  • After reading the results of the Myers-Briggs type test I’d just finished, the interviewer started by asking me if I was all right. (ShortList)
  • I had a female interviewer who leaned forward across the table to shake my hand. I misread the situation and kissed her on the cheek. Didn’t get the job (Reddit)
  • During an interview with my brother, a guy spat repeatedly into his own briefcase until my brother screamed “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!” (ShortList)

And lastly, our favorite from Reddit:

“What would you say makes you the best candidate for this job?”

“I’m a rock star.”

“Ok….but what kinds of attributes do you have that you think would contribute to the workplace?”

“I’m a rock star.”

Rock on, and have a great weekend, people.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *